This Tool is useful for extruding border edges of an editable poly. You can also add a tilting angle and choose to use corrected corners.
How to use / installation:
If you still have version 1.0 installed, make sure to delete the old files before installing the new one. You need to delete “RacoonScripts_Extend_Borders.mcr” and “extend_borders.mse” in your 3dsmax installation folder (files should be in /scripts/RacoonScripts and the /UI/Macroscripts or /usermacros or /Macroscripts folders, depending on max version.
The easiest way to install it is to run the .mcr via the “Scripting” menu + “Run Script” command. After that, open the “Customize User Interface” dialog and locate the tool in the category “RacoonScripts”. After you have made a hotkey, menu item or button, simply select some edges of your editable poly object and start the tool.
Extrusion Depth = the absolute amount the new edges are extruded
Angle = The tilting angle of the extrusion
Smoothing Group, Inherit = Inherits the smoothing group ID from the adjacent faces
Respect loop ends = If you are not using straighten corners, selections that end on corners are extruded perpendicular to the bending, if this is not desired, activate this option – it will extrude the those edge perpendicular to only the selected edges.
Tips & Tricks:
Alt + Apply = negate the angle value and apply
Alt + Cancel = undo the last apply
* Distorted polygons (e.g. skewed and rotated) may be problematic for the straighten corners algorithm. It’s better to disable this feature in these cases.
* Since it’s a Maxscript it is not very fast in calculation speed. Higher edge counts may slow down the tool considerably.
v1.2 – 2019/11/25
– added compatibility for max 2020 (some random thing changed for some reason, hooray!)
v1.1 – 2019/04/27
– materialIDs are ported to new faces
– fixed the updating issues in max 2017 and up
– removed encryption, have fun reading but keep in mind that this spaghetti code is OLD (and awful)!
v1.0 – 2014/05/31
– initial release
Use it on your own risk!
(rightclick, save as..)