I finally decided to release the QuickSplineClone Script I showed a year ago “as is”. There are some things I’d like to change at some point in the future but right now I don’t have time to redo the stuff I don’t like (e.g. changing the system to make absolute vs. relative modes more clear to the user; changing the code to a more up-to-date approach etc). The number of max clones per spline is currently hard-coded to 500, if you want to increase the limit just edit the value in the script (“maxClonesPerSpline = 500”).
Old video from 2014:
– number of clones along a supplied length
– number of clones on spline total length
– a clone each x units (on multiple splines, different lengths)
– offset to the side
– (nested) hierarchies are supported, only last parent object needs to be selected
– if 2 objects are used, clones will be placed evenly ordered
– if 3 or more objects are used, clones will be placed on random order (but subsequent clone is never the same object), seed can be changed
– orientation can be changed to x, y, z
– 1st clone can be locked on 1st vertex (or unlocked, useful for closed splines: clones do not overlap)
– copy, instance, reference
– selection set of generated objects
How to install:
The script file is a macroscript, so you just have to to place it into your prefered macroscripts folder:
“…\Autodesk\3ds Max 2014\MacroScripts”
“C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\201x – 64bit\ENU\usermacros”
Restart max and you will find the “QuickSplineClone” script in the category “RacoonScripts”
Download:Use it on your own risk!
NOTE: There is NO SUPPORT for any of the downloadable scripts on this site. You can still report bugs but I won't give any guarantees of the tools still working, that I will fix them if they don't, or that they will be available in the future.